10.03.2012

Professional Artist Magazine - Artist Spotlight

Professional Artist November 2012 Issue
I was selected by Professional Artist Magazine to be the artist spotlight for the November issue- which is now on newstands.  It is officially my very first publication - well - if you don't count an ad that was used with Paris Rooftops.  The process was really interesting - from the interview, to proofing the draft, and then seeing it in print.

I had to provide them with several images that they could choose from, and I was secretly hoping that they would go with Top of the World - one of my favorites.  I've been a subscriber for years, and always read the artist spotlight page - never in a million years thinking it would be me.  The article is below...

by Kim Hall



Teresa Haag’s architectural streetscapes are the culmination of years of study and
creative struggle, but with a result that was worth the wait. With bold lines and color, and
a strong eye for composition, Haag executes each of her works with a care and respect
for the places she’s been, both metaphorically and literally. All of the paintings are based
on locations she has physically visited, many of which of in her small steel town in
Pennsylvania.

“Everyone and everything has a story. Some of my subjects are such underdogs.
For example, Top of the World is an old power plant that is slated for demolition. At one
time, it was full of life, supplying a city with energy. Now, it sits in quiet, waiting to be
torn down. I felt the need to honor that building. I like the idea of taking something that
is considered mundane and showing it in a new light.”

Up until two years ago, Haag experimented in a variety of painting techniques
and styles. What she didn’t realize was that each experiment was leading her to her true
voice, a process that just takes time.

“I look back on some of that work and catch myself cringing. But I realize now
that it was all a part of the process to get me where I am today.
“A few years ago, I decided to paint a street scene of a recent trip to San
Francisco. I had an old canvas that housed a painting that I was unhappy with. No
stranger to texture, on a whim I decided to re-use it by applying newspaper over the old
work with clear gesso. The result was a gritty textured surface. After the first few brush
strokes, I knew that I found my own unique style. It adds energy to the piece that cannot
be achieved when beginning with a blank white canvas.”

The result is a sense of depth, mystery and perhaps even history — all very
appropriate for works that tell a story of a location through the eyes of the painter. Haag
spent the last two years developing her vision and technique until she got to a point
where she was proud of what she was creating. With her husband giving her the nudge to
begin exhibiting, Haag won best of show at her local art center this past May, and has
begun showing regularly in fine arts festivals and other arts venues.

“I believe that finding your voice is the most difficult thing an artist faces. The
reason that I struggled with promoting myself and showing my work in the past is
because I wasn't proud of what I was creating. Once I discovered who I was as an artist, I
was able to focus on making good art that I could stand behind.”

Teresa Haag exhibited at the New Hope Art Festival in New Hope, Pennsylvania, in
September 2012. Her next exhibition is a solo show at the Phoenix Village Art Center
(www.phoenixvillageartcenter.org) in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania in April 2013. For
more information, visit www.teresahaag.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment