9.18.2012

Palette

I was just getting ready to wipe my palette from my last painting that I worked on outside (plein air).  I've had a few people inquire as to what type of palette I use with my plein air easel, and what paint I typically pile on.
Plein Air Easel Palette (Julian Full)
Brand is Gamblin unless otherwise noted. Starting at the bottom left and working counter clockwise...
Titanium Zinc White
Mars Black (rarely used but like to have a little dab)
Burnt Umber (only used in my under painting to establish values)
Raw Umber
Yellow Ochre
Burnt Sienna (primarily used in my under painting to establish values - I love to mix with ultramarine to get my darks)
Cadmium Red
Alizarin Permanent (above Cad Red)
Cadmium Red Light
Cadmuim Lemon
Cad Yellow Deep
Cad Yellow Light
Indian Yellow (Inside left of Cad Yellow Light - great for tinting and making greens)
Sap Green
Azo Green (M Graham brand)
Permanent Green Light (Rarely use - don't typically have it on my palette)
Veridian (mix with Alizarin to make blacks)
Phthalo Turquoise Blue
Cobalt Turquoise Light
Cerulean Blue (W&N brand)
Cobalt
Ultramarine

Medium -
OMS - Gamsol - used for thinning and creating my under painting with
Liquin - once I establish my tones and values I start building up with liquin mixed into the paint

I have the turquoise blues on this palette specifically because the piece I was working on had a lot of bright water and sky.  They normally don't make an appearance.

On my studio palette, I've started reducing the number of paint colors on my palette.  I'm finding on my own what I've been reading about and what people have been saying about color - that the less amount of tube colors in front of you, the more control you have and the better harmony and balance you have in the painting.  Sometimes you have to learn the hard way :).  I'm finding  - like with anything - the more confidence I gain the more willing I am to try new things (like a limited palette, new surfaces, more complicated subjects).  Eventually, it would be great to get down to a warm and cool of each primary and white.  I think I'll challenge myself with a painting doing just that - 6 tube colors and white.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment